Free calculator helps you figure out how much you’ll get on universal credit or benefits after coronavirus upheaval – The Sun


WORKERS whose jobs have been affected by the coronavirus outbreak can determine the amount of universal credit to which they are entitled using a free online calculator.

The government has already announced a package of new measures to help households cope if their income is affected by self-isolation.

⚠️ Read our live blog on coronavirus for the latest news and updates

    Turn2Us updated its universal credit calculator to include those affected by the coronavirus


Turn2Us updated its universal credit calculator to include those affected by the coronavirusCredit: Turn2Us

The universal credit minimum income floor (MIF) will be temporarily removed for self-employed workers who will lose income if they have to self-isolate.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak also said the government would increase the standard allocation element of the Universal Credit and the Work Tax Credit by £ 1,000 per year each.

But these changes are not expected to take effect until April 5 and 6.

Anti-poverty charity Turn2Us has updated its benefit calculator to help those whose income may be affected by the epidemic determine how much they may be entitled to.

It includes six new questions that will help you determine to what extent you will receive social assistance, such as Employee Support Allowance (ESA), Statutory Sickness Benefit (SSP), and Universal Credit.

    The calculator now includes six new questions, as well as other information that you will also need to fill out


The calculator now includes six new questions, as well as other information that you will also need to fill outCredit: Turn2Us

In addition to basic income and savings information, you will need to include information on whether you are currently suffering from the virus, have worked in the past two years, and whether you typically earn at least £ 118 per week.

You will also have to answer all those concerning your partner if you are declaring as a household.

Indeed, the amount to which you are entitled will depend on the total income of your household and your savings.

The calculator can be used by those already applying for universal credit to see how their benefit payments may change, as well as by new applicants.

If you are new to applying for universal credit, be aware that you will have to wait up to five weeks before receiving your first payment.

The charity says it will update its calculator as soon as the new rules take effect.

Simone Ranson, Head of Digital at Turn2us, said: “We urge anyone who is having money problems because of the coronavirus panic to do a benefit calculation to find out what they are entitled to and make a claim as soon as possible. possible. “

Here’s how you can get additional support if your income is affected by the coronavirus outbreak:

If you are self-employed

The Chancellor announced that the self-employed will be able to access universal credit at a rate equivalent to statutory sickness benefits by removing the MIF.

This is the amount you think you will earn each month, and it is used to calculate the universal credit you get on top of your income.


Get the latest coronavirus news, facts and figures from around the world, plus essential advice for you and your family.

To receive our Covid-19 newsletter delivered to your inbox every tea time, sign up here.

To follow us on Facebook, just like our Coronavirus page.

The idea behind it is that the MIF is the equivalent of someone your age working full time for minimum wage.

If you earn below this level in a month, you are considered earning the MIF – nothing more than the MIF, your actual earnings count instead.

You will need to have worked for yourself for more than a year to be eligible for assistance.

If you have temporarily lost your job

Many employers, including British Airways and Easy Jet, have asked their staff to take temporary unpaid leave as they struggle to cope with losses caused by the outbreak.

For those who will not be paid but will remain on a PAYE payroll, the government has promised to pay up to 80% of their salary, or up to £ 2,500 per month.

Mr Sunak hopes his new coronavirus job retention program will keep more than a million people at work after the outbreak is over – the biggest act of a government to protect workers.

The program will initially be open for three months and allow workers to backdate missing wages to March 1.

The staff would remain on the payroll during the time their company receives the government grant.

If you’ve lost your job or been made redundant

If you’ve ever been cut from your employer’s payroll, you may be able to get help from the benefits system.

Depending on your situation, you may be able to get Universal, JSA, or ESAA credit.

Your employer may ask you to stay home, reduce your hours, or take unpaid leave if there isn’t enough work for you.

UK government plans emergency coronavirus legislation

If this is the case, you are entitled to statutory severance pay, as long as you have been employed continuously for one month, have not refused to work and have not been terminated due to ‘industrial action.

You will receive up to £ 29 per day for five days over a three month period, up to a maximum of £ 145.

There is no limit on how long you can be made redundant or cut down on your hours, but you can apply for dismissal if you receive less than half a week’s pay for four consecutive weeks or six weeks without work. a period of 13 weeks. .

You may be able to get help from a charity that provides grants to help cover your living expenses.

Some local councils also offer financial assistance to those who are struggling to pay their bills, sometimes in the form of a government loan.

You should also check to see if you are eligible for food banks.

If you don’t qualify for benefits, but are worried about paying your mortgage, loan, or rent, talk to your provider.

Many mortgage lenders, for example, offer payment holidays while some banks offer larger overdrafts.

You should also consider turning to a free help organization such as Citizens Advice or StepChange.


Comments are closed.